no, I see now, tru64 pty ownership wrong on entry to setup_sia, may need /usr/lbin/chgpt (WAS Re: Tru64 privsep patch testing)

Toni L. Harbaugh-Blackford harbaugh at nciaxp.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Aug 30 21:51:16 EST 2002

I put in some more debugging statements, and also looked at the terminal
ownership after I logged in via the tru64 patch

When logged in via the patch, this is the ownership of *my* terminal:

     fchelp{harbaugh} [/users/primgr/harbaugh]
     103% tty
     /dev/pts/2
     fchelp{harbaugh} [/users/primgr/harbaugh]
     104% ls -la /dev/pts/2
     crw-rw-rw-   2 root     system     6,  2 Aug 30 07:41 /dev/pts/2

When logged in 'normally', this is the ownership:

     fchelp{harbaugh} [/www/harbaugh/51A/20020829/openssh]
     125% tty
     /dev/pts/1
     fchelp{harbaugh} [/www/harbaugh/51A/20020829/openssh]
     126% ls -la /dev/pts/1
     crw--w----   2 harbaugh terminal   6,  1 Aug 30 07:42 /dev/pts/1

I know that Tru64 *itself* uses the setuid program /usr/lbin/chgpt to allow
ownership change of a terminal by a non-privileged process, but I can't find
my reference for how it is used.  Of course, it is undocumented.

Otherwise, a privileged process will have to change the ownership.