ssh

Paul Allen paul.l.allen at boeing.com
Thu Jan 3 07:06:45 EST 2002

Chris Seberino wrote:

> Hello! I would really appreciate any hints
> to a little puzzle that has been gnawing at me
> about remote sessions with ssh...
> (and likely all connectivity programs...)
>
> Because network connections can only talk in
> ASCII,

Ummm...  Not sure why you say this.  My network connections
generally talk 8-bit binary that I sometimes choose to
interpret as ASCII.  :-)

> there is no way to tell the difference
> between TAB and "Ctrl-i" (i.e. pressing Ctrl and i keys
> together).  BOTH are transmitted as same ASCII
> code.  Likewise, Ctrl-m and RETURN key both
> are transmitted as the same ASCII character
> by ssh and every other network connection
> probably.

Well, this has nothing to do with network connections.  It
is generally more useful to use ASCII than keyboard scan codes.

> Is there ANY way to tweak ssh program or something
> else so that something DIFFERENT is sent
> to distinguish between Ctrl-i and TAB and
> to distinguish between Ctrl-m and RETURN?????
>
> It would REALLY make my day.

If you're running X, have a look at xmodmap.  Your X server knows about
key press and release events.  It also knows the difference between the
tab key and control plus I.  The xmodmap utility lets you control the
translation between keyboard events and transmitted characters.

Paul Allen

--
Boeing Phantom Works                   \ Paul L. Allen, (425) 865-3297
Math & Computing Technology              \ paul.l.allen at boeing.com
POB 3707 M/S 7L-40, Seattle, WA 98124-2207 \ Prototype Systems Group