Some X11 programs don't work on connection from SSH Secure Shell

Peter Scott Peter.J.Scott at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 9 06:52:54 EST 2002

Well this is weird... when I connect via SSH Secure Shell PC client 3.0.0,
the server hangs and the client sees a disconnect as soon as the user
activates certain X programs.  But not all of them!  For instance, xeyes
and xlogo are fine... but emacs and xterm are not.

This is 3.0.2p1 on Solaris 2.5.1.

When the client runs xterm the output of sshd -d -d -d is:

debug1: X11 connection requested.
debug2: fd 13 is O_NONBLOCK
debug2: fd 13 is O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 2: new [X11 connection from 137.78.37.65 port 43165]
debug1: channel 2: open confirm rwindow 30000 rmax 2048

And then it says no more.  But these programs work fine if I connect via
ssh from a Linux box or fsecure (SSH1).  If I scratch my head any more I'll
get splinters in my fingers.

Any suggestions?
--
Peter Scott