OpenSSH and OpenSSL snapshots

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker levitte at stacken.kth.se
Thu Jan 24 17:19:56 EST 2002

From: Lutz Jaenicke <Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE>

Lutz.Jaenicke> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 11:21:49AM -0800, Booker C. Bense wrote:
Lutz.Jaenicke> > - I was afraid you'd say that... It defeats the whole
Lutz.Jaenicke> > point of changing the names in the first place[1]. Oh
Lutz.Jaenicke> > well, I'll just have to figure a way to install
Lutz.Jaenicke> > openssl without them. At least you tried to do the
Lutz.Jaenicke> > right thing.
Lutz.Jaenicke> >
Lutz.Jaenicke> > - BTW, the cpp macro trick works. I've used it in the
Lutz.Jaenicke> > kerberos code to allow openssl compatiblity. Looks
Lutz.Jaenicke> > like I'll have to keep those patches around.
Lutz.Jaenicke> >
Lutz.Jaenicke> > - Booker C. Bense
Lutz.Jaenicke> >
Lutz.Jaenicke> > [1] Unless you put them in separate library.

My first attepmt was to do the whole thing with cpp macros.  However,
after giving it some thought, that could cause a number of problems;
one is that macros have zero type safety.  You can give those macros
exactly whatever without the compiler reacting, since a lot of casts
would be made in their expansion.  The other problem is applications
that link either with libdes or with openssl's libcrypto.  The latter
will very suddenly fail.

But, this isn't the end of the story.  On some architectures, there
are binary incompatibilities between openssl's libcrypto and libdes.

Richard Levitte   \ Spannvägen 38, II \ LeViMS at stacken.kth.se
Redakteur at Stacken  \ S-168 35  BROMMA  \ T: +46-8-26 52 47
                    \      SWEDEN       \ or +46-733-72 88 11
Procurator Odiosus Ex Infernis                -- poei at bofh.se
Member of the OpenSSL development team: http://www.openssl.org/
Software Engineer, GemPlus:             http://www.gemplus.com/

Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
See <http://www.stacken.kth.se/~levitte/mail/> for more info.