OpenSSH and OpenSSL snapshots

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Jan 24 17:32:06 EST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> My first attepmt was to do the whole thing with cpp macros.  However,
> after giving it some thought, that could cause a number of problems;
> one is that macros have zero type safety.  You can give those macros
> exactly whatever without the compiler reacting, since a lot of casts
> would be made in their expansion.

If there is a one-to-one mapping of arguments between the new and old
functions, and the macros merely rearrange the order (and change the
names) then type safety shouldn't be a problem.

>  The other problem is applications
> that link either with libdes or with openssl's libcrypto.  The latter
> will very suddenly fail.

How? These apps would need to be recompiled anyway - that way they would
pick up the macros.

> But, this isn't the end of the story.  On some architectures, there
> are binary incompatibilities between openssl's libcrypto and libdes.

Aren't these what you are trying to avoid in the first place?
The libdes shipped with MIT krbIV is an ongoing source of frustration for
the portable OpenSSH developers.

-d