Issues with SFTP

Dan Astoorian djast at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Jan 31 05:09:27 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:17:04 EST, Tomas Svensson writes:
[   Tobias Ringstrom <tori at ringstrom.mine.nu> writes:]
> >> How do you specify the destination?
[...]
> I think specifying it as a part of the username would be lot better
[...]

Well, you'd need to deal with ssh's prompts for authentication (e.g.,
passphrases) somehow.

If you want to write the code, by all means do it any way you see fit.  :-)

AppGate MindTerm (which has the only existing ftp->sftp proxy I'm aware
of) works the way I've described.  Most firewall products which
implement (non-transparent) FTP proxying use other methods, including
the one described by Tomas.  FWIW, the current NcFTP client's firewall
support implements about six different variations on that theme.  I
don't really want to generate further noise on openssh-unix-dev
speculating about whether one approach is better than others unless
there's someone listening who's ready, willing, and able to turn design
into code.

The question I was trying to raise here was whether it might make sense
to put coding effort into creating such a proxy _instead of_ loading up
the sftp client's UI with features, since there seem to be a lot of
opinions on exactly what features the OpenSSH sftp client "should" have.

Let's decide on "if" before we spend a lot of time on "how," yes?

--
Dan Astoorian               People shouldn't think that it's better to have
Sysadmin, CSLab             loved and lost than never loved at all.  It's