Issues with SFTP

Tomas Svensson tsn at gbdev.net
Wed Jan 30 11:17:04 EST 2002

>> > Even nicer (IMHO) would be an ftp->sftp proxy, such as the one provided
>> > by MindTerm, so that arbitrary existing FTP user interfaces (such as
>> > ncftp) could be used until the authors of those UIs support SFTP
>> > natively.
>>
>> How do you specify the destination?

DA> You'd specify the destination, and the port on localhost on which to
DA> listen, when you launch the proxy; something like:
DA>         % ftp2sftp -p 2121 remoteserver

DA> Your FTP client could then connect to ftp://localhost:2121/.

DA> The feature I'm talking about is called "FTP to SFTP Bridge" in
DA> MindTerm.

I think specifying it as a part of the username would be lot better
(USER user at host[:port]), you don't want to restart it for every remote
host you want to connect to? (I use this syntax for my ftp->ftp-over-tls
proxy, works fine with all clients tested so far except Smart(!)FTP
for windows).

-Tomas