New PAM kbd-int diff

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Sat Jul 6 09:16:00 EST 2002

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Niels Provos wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:07:47PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > I don't choose the license, my client does.  And I find it extremely
> > presumptuous of you to ask me to change it like you did.  Try "would
> > it be possible..." next time.
> I do not think that I was being "presumptuous."  I do not know if you
> are a native speaker or not.  I am not, but just to be on the same
> page, here is the definition that I use for
>
> pre.sump.tu.ous \pri-'z*m(p)-ch*-w*s; -'z*m(p)-sh*s, -ch*s\ aj [ME, fr. MF
>    presumptueux, fr. LL praesumptuosus, irreg. fr. prae]sumptio : overstepping
>    due bounds : taking liberties : OVERWEENING - pre.sump.tu.ous.ly av
>
> I said: Could you please.  Which I believe is courteous enough for an
> email.  Maybe you have an agenda that I am unaware of.  However, I
> believe that I was polite, and all your communication with me so far
> has been either terse or rude.  Maybe both.

I suspect the issue is that 'Can' and 'Could' (even if it sounds right and
the dictionary defination implies it is right) is incorrect way to ask
for permission or request.  'Will' or 'Would' is the correct way.

With that said... As a native English speaker (American, not british) I
will be the first to admit that the language sucks.

- Ben