Building 3.4p1 on HP-UX 11.00, gcc, zlib 1.1.4, OpenSSL 0.9.6d

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Jul 13 18:24:59 EST 2002

"C. Bensend" wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Darren Tucker wrote:
[extra libxnet?]
> Excellent thought, but I have checked that already.  But, and
> this is an honest question (you guys probably know a lot more
> about this than I do), are we chasing the wrong problem?
> Configure isn't bombing on libxnet...  While it is certainly
> complaining about it in config.log, it's not a fatal error
> like the zlib one is.

By comparing my config.log to yours, I've figured out why you're getting
the xnet errors: you're compiling with -static and there's no libxnet.a.

If I set CFLAGS=-static I'm able to reproduce your problem.

> But, I'm guessing this could be a problem that is being
> incorrectly reported by configure...

The missing library is causing a link failure. (I suspect it's causing
configure to get a bunch of other settings wrong too.)

$ cat conftest.c
char deflate();
int main () { deflate(); return 0; }
$ gcc conftest.c -lz
$ gcc conftest.c -lz -lxnet
$ gcc conftest.c -lz -static
$ gcc conftest.c -lz -static -lxnet
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Can't find library: "xnet"
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

> > FWIW, 3.4p1 compiles fine on my C240 (HP-UX 11.00, gcc-3.1).
> Gadzooks, with the exception of the gcc version, that's the
> exact machine I'm building on.  :/

What are you doing on my machine and why did you downgrade gcc :-?

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG Fingerprint D9A3 86E9 7EEE AF4B B2D4  37C9 C982 80C7 8FF4 FA69