[SOLVED] Re: Building 3.4p1 on HP-UX 11.00, gcc, zlib 1.1.4, OpenSSL 0.9.6d

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed Jul 17 11:45:58 EST 2002

Hey folks,

	My problem with building 3.4p1 on HP-UX has been solved,
and as promised I'm sending this to the list for the benefit of
the archives.

> "C. Bensend" wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Darren Tucker wrote:
> [extra libxnet?]
> > Excellent thought, but I have checked that already.  But, and
> > this is an honest question (you guys probably know a lot more
> > about this than I do), are we chasing the wrong problem?
> > Configure isn't bombing on libxnet...  While it is certainly
> > complaining about it in config.log, it's not a fatal error
> > like the zlib one is.
>
> By comparing my config.log to yours, I've figured out why you're getting
> the xnet errors: you're compiling with -static and there's no libxnet.a.
>
> If I set CFLAGS=-static I'm able to reproduce your problem.
>
> > But, I'm guessing this could be a problem that is being
> > incorrectly reported by configure...
>
> The missing library is causing a link failure. (I suspect it's causing
> configure to get a bunch of other settings wrong too.)

	Darren was completely correct - use of the "-static"
value in CFLAGS was causing configure to become ... confused.
As a static library for libxnet wasn't availible on HP-UX (11.00),
it was causing a link failure, _as well as_ incorrectly stating
that it couldn't find zlib.

The solution:

	1) Removed all traces of zlib from the system just to be safe
	2) Removed all traces of OpenSSL from the system, JTBS
	3) Rebuilt both zlib and OpenSSL, installing them to a temp
	   directory
	4) Rebuild OpenSSH, pointing configure at said zlib and OpenSSL

	I was originally trying to build OpenSSH statically so I
wouldn't have to muck with the OpenSSL installations on my production
boxen, as our proprietary web applications are also built against
OpenSSL.

	However, Darren mentioned that by default, OpenSSL and zlib
compile statically (a thousand thanks for your help and patience,
Darren).  So, I went ahead and build OpenSSH dynamically.  Sure enough,
the SSL and zlib stuff was built in statically.  Not quite what I was
aiming for originally, but certainly an acceptable solution.  I didn't
realize this about OpenSSL and zlib.  That'll learn me.

	So - the end result?  Happy OpenSSH depot for HP-UX 11.00.  A
billion thanks to Darren, Kevin, Wendy, and Tim for their help, and
hopefully someone else will benefit from this information.

Benny

ps:  Could this be categorized as an obscure bug in the configure
process?  Shouldn't configure have bombed on -static being used
when static libraries weren't availible, instead of complaining
about something else (zlib)?  Not being argumentative or complaining
or anything, it just would have been a lot quicker to track this
down if I had seen a "configure: libxnet.a not found" or something
similar.