HP-UX works or (Re: Testing Call)

Darren Cole dcole at keysoftsys.com
Sat Jul 20 08:28:43 EST 2002

HP-UX 10.26 seems to work fine in initial testing with priv sep enabled.
(from cvs pulled yesterday).

For the record there is a hang on exit problem with 10.26.  After extensive
hacking at the problem was determined to be a 10.26 issue. Waiting on HP for
now. Temporary work around is to add these two lines to one line from the
end of session_exit_message() in session.c :
         if (s->ttyfd != -1 && c->istate == CHAN_INPUT_OPEN)
              chan_read_failed(c);
This comes from John C. Bowman's patch.   This can cause possible data loss,
but for us the chance of data loss far outweighs the hang on exit.

Ignore the below, unless you want a more thorough explanation.
    When all child pty's are closed, the select calls does not return as
expected when using older style /dev/pty and friends. In the manpages when
all children are closed the select call should return in such a case. The
reason the old style are used over others (/dev/ptmx and such) is that login
will not authenticate unless the older style /dev/pty and friends are used
(Trusted CMW issues of login).  Using /dev/tmx will return as expected, but
then login wont work.
    The better solution might be to quit using login altogether, and move
all necessary work into the ssh (set clearance, drop privilege, audit, note
login in the right files, check roles, etc).  But then the UseLogin option
wont work on HP-UX 10.26. Figured this would at least give some record of
openssh on HP-UX 10.26 issues.

Darren Cole
dcole at keysoftsys.com