impedence mismatch between openssh 3.4p1 and openssl 0.9.6d on SCO OpenServer 3.2 5.0.6

Fred Obermann fredo at aracnet.com
Mon Jul 22 13:29:39 EST 2002

Hi, I have been trying to build openssh 3.4p1 on SCO Open Server xxx
It requires the libcrypto.a library produced by OpenSSL.

So, I downloaded and installed OpenSSL 0.9.6d.

As part of the configure process for OpenSSH, 'configure' checks for
version of libcrypto.a with RAND_add().

RAND_add is defined in rand_lib.c and during the build of OpenSSH, I
can see that rand_lib.c is compiled and linked into libcrypto.a

However, when I run configure for OpenSSH, it complains:

	configure: error: *** Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto (see
	config.log for details) ***

Do any of you folks have an idea why this might be.

FredO

The relevant portion of the log file looks like this:

configure:7782: result: yes
configure:8167: cc -o conftest -g  -I/usr/local/include
-L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lz -lsocket  -lprot -lx -ltinfo -lm
-lcrypto >&5
undefined                       first referenced
RAND_add                            conftest.o
i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
configure:8170: $? = 13
configure: failed program was:
#line 8125 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char RAND_add ();
#ifdef F77_DUMMY_MAIN
#  ifdef __cplusplus
     extern "C"
#  endif
   int F77_DUMMY_MAIN() { return 1; }
#endif
int
main ()
{
RAND_add ();
  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:8218: cc -o conftest -g -I/usr/local/ssl/include
-I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/ssl/lib  -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c
-lz -lsocket  -lprot -lx -ltinfo -lm -lcrypto >&5
undefined                       first referenced
RAND_add                            conftest.o
i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
configure:8221: $? = 13
configure: failed program was:
#line 8192 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char RAND_add ();
#ifdef F77_DUMMY_MAIN
#  ifdef __cplusplus
     extern "C"
#  endif
   int F77_DUMMY_MAIN() { return 1; }
#endif
int
main ()
{
RAND_add ();
  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:8237: error: *** Can't find recent OpenSSL libcrypto (see
config.log for details) ***