sshd and file descriptors

Phil Howard phil-openssh-unix-dev at ipal.net
Thu Jun 27 15:10:57 EST 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 07:06:13PM -0300, Andreas Hasenack wrote:

| I have an openssh RPM package that restarts the sshd server during
| an upgrade if the daemon is already running. So far, so good, restart
| works.

What happens if you were connected via ssh when it restarts?

| Shouldn't a daemon close all fds before going into "daemon land"? What exactly is broken here?

Should a package manager be restarting a daemon?

Maybe the package manager should use close-on-exec on all the
descriptors that aren't to be passed on to the daemon, while it
still knows what descriptors are open instead of imposing on the
next program to do thousands of close() calls.