[openssh-unix-announce] OpenSSH 3.1 released

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Sun Mar 10 03:17:43 EST 2002

> Good Day All,
> Would someone please answer why I can NOT get to work scp without passowrd
> between 2
> Solaris boxes with OpenSSH (3.0.2p1) .

Most likely because you need to get pubkey authentication up and running
first -- scp piggybacks on top of ssh, so you need to get ssh able to work
without a password first.

Some things to check:

1) Do you have correct permissions on your ~/.ssh directory?  sshd won't
trust an authorized_keys or authorized_keys2 file if anyone else can write
to it, or if the directory it's living in is modifiable by anyone else.
2) Are you using the correct SSH protocol for the keys that are set up?  If
you have SSH1 pubkey setup(contents of identity.pub added to remote
~/.ssh/authorized_keys) but are connecting using SSH2, pubkey will fail.
You can either connect using SSH1(scp -1 or ssh -1 will work) or add SSH2
keys.

These methods from HPYN2K might help.  Good luck!

·         Cause remote host to accept SSH1 keypair in lieu of password:  cat
~/.ssh/identity.pub | ssh -1 user at host "cd ~ && umask 077 && mkdir -p .ssh
&& cat >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"

·         Cause remote host to accept SSH2 keypair in lieu of password:  cat
~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub | ssh user at host "cd ~ && umask 077 && mkdir -p .ssh && cat
>> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2"

Yours Truly,

    Dan Kaminsky
    DoxPara Research