OpenSSH-3.1p1 Solaris build with /dev/random

Paul Allen paul.l.allen at boeing.com
Wed Mar 13 16:50:35 EST 2002

Frank Cusack wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 06:35:23PM -0800, Kevin Steves wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Matt Studley wrote:
> > :has anyone had a problem building 3.1p1 with Solaris 8 (2/02 release)?
> > :That release of Solaris was the first (I believe) to incorporate their own
> > :/dev/random which OpenSSH 3.1 doesn't seem to like too much.
> >
> > I don't see a /dev/random driver on Solaris 8 2/02, and can't find any
> > mention in the release documentation.
>
> It's in SUNWski, do you have that installed?  /dev/random is a fifo in
> SUNWski (created at boot time).

SUNWski was part of the web server product that was bundled with the
server versions of Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7.  It was not on the regular
install CD.  You had to rummage around on the CD with all the extra
software to find it and install it manually.  You can also download it
as part of a patch from SunSolve, if you have such access.  Just search
for "SUNWski".  (Note that it's been over a year since I checked this
fact!)

> I dunno about Solaris 8 02/02, but SUNWski was previously available
> unbundled for 2.6+, but only for 32-bit.

Sun discontinued their web server with Solaris 8, so SUNWski
disappeared.
The one from the Solaris 7 media pack worked fine on all the Solaris 8
boxes I tried it on.  These were mostly Ultra 5 and 10 machines.

Paul Allen

--
Boeing Phantom Works                   \ Paul L. Allen, (425) 865-3297
Math & Computing Technology              \ paul.l.allen at boeing.com
POB 3707 M/S 7L-40, Seattle, WA 98124-2207 \ Prototype Systems Group