zlib compression, the exploit, and OpenSSH

ewheeler at kaico.com ewheeler at kaico.com
Thu Mar 14 09:17:39 EST 2002

Damien --

I should have tagged this on my previous email, but oops!

> > 2.  What are the logistics of moving all non-critical external library
> > calls (zlib in this case, but others if they exist) *after*
> > authentication?
>
> Not easy, what's "non-critical"?

Well, zlib could be considered "non-critical" before authentication --
The amount of data passed during authentication is small and need not be
compressed (IMO).  I am not familiar enough with OpenSSH's code to know if
there are other superflous calls, and none of the debug output gives a
hint to something which could wait until after auth.

As I understand the SSH protocol, enabling zlib compression
(SSH_CMSG_REQUEST_COMPRESSION) /could/ be done after authentication if the
code to handle SSH_CMSG_REQUEST_COMPRESSION was implemented in the body of
the ssh protocol rather than only during prep.  If this breaks RFC, it
could be an option in sshd_config and ssh_config so other ssh
implementations can still work with it if necessary.

--Eric