buildpkg on solaris 8 OK BUT?..

MPak at dotsconnect.com MPak at dotsconnect.com
Tue Mar 26 08:04:28 EST 2002

Hello all,
I was finally able to create the OpenSSH package for Solaris 8 10/01.
The problem I have now is that I will still need to have entropy ready
prior to openssh-3.1p1 package  installation. Otherwise there is no entropy
pool available (with the new servers) and key generation fails.
With the previous versions of openssh, I used SUN's
"makeOpenSSHPackage.ksh" script and was able to generate the keys by
running /etc/init.d/openssh.server script, which is essentially functioning
like /etc/init.d/opensshd.

When I run the /etc/init.d/opensshd, I get the following errors:

Installation of <OpenSSH> was successful.
# cd /etc/init.d/
# ./opensshd start
Couldn't connect to PRNGD socket "/var/run/egd-pool": No such file or
directory
Entropy collection failed
ssh-rand-helper child produced insufficient data
Couldn't connect to PRNGD socket "/var/run/egd-pool": No such file or
directory
Entropy collection failed
ssh-rand-helper child produced insufficient data
Couldn't connect to PRNGD socket "/var/run/egd-pool": No such file or
directory
Entropy collection failed
ssh-rand-helper child produced insufficient data
starting /opt/OBSDssh/sbin/sshd... Couldn't connect to PRNGD socket
"/var/run/egd-pool": No such fi
e or directory
Entropy collection failed
ssh-rand-helper child produced insufficient data
./opensshd: Error 255 starting /opt/OBSDssh/sbin/sshd... bailing.

Below are the details:

I configured the prngd as follows (essentially followed the instructions
from sunblueprints):
>> # make CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O3 -DSOLARIS" SYSLIBS="-lsocket -lnsl"
>> # cp prngd /usr/local/sbin/prngd
>> # cp contrib/Solaris-7/prngd.conf/solaris-7 /etc/prngd.conf
>> # cat /var/log/syslog /var/adm/messages > /etc/prngd-seed
Then to start entropy
>> # /usr/local/sbin/prngd /var/run/egd-pool

Below are the options I used configuring openssh-3.1p1

>> # ./configure --prefix=/opt/OBSDssh --with-pam --without-rsh
--disable-suid-ssh --sysconfdir=/etc --with-prngd-socket=/var/run/egd-pool
Then make
>> # make

Then I ran the buildpkg.sh successfully.
And /etc/init.d/opensshd worked fine too on the system that I built the
package.
But when I tried the newly generated package on a new system that did not
already have entropy collected , opensshd fails.

Any ideas on how to overcome this?
Thanks..
MesutPAK
Network Analyst