Does OpenSSH have tcp_wrappers *built-in* or just compatibility?

Peter Watkins peterw at usa.net
Fri May 3 22:28:01 EST 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 06:59:59AM -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:

> I was under the impression it was just compatibility, and not actually
> built-in, but I thought I'd ask here and just make sure of what I'm
> saying. :) TIA.

OpenSSH and tcp_wrappers are separate software packages. OpenSSH can be
built against the tcp_wrappers library (if tcp_wrappers is available on
your system) so that the resulting binaries support tcp_wrappers' access
control mechanisms. Normally tcp_wrappers is compiled as an archive,
libwrap.a, so that if OpenSSH is compiled with tcp_wrappers support,
tcp_wrappers is literally built-in (using Wietse Venema's code) to the
resulting binaries, though some systems provide tcp_wrappers as a shared
object and use standard dynamic linking mechanisms to add tcp_wrappers
functionality to their applications.

Wietse, if you're here, I'd love to hear what you think about libwrap.a vs
libwrap.so. :-)

--
Peter Watkins - peterw at tux.org - peterw at usa.net - http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
Private personal mail: use PGP key F4F397A8; more sensitive data? Use 2D123692