OpenSSH 3.2.2 released : chroot

Dan Astoorian djast at cs.toronto.edu
Sat May 18 22:56:38 EST 2002

On Sat, 18 May 2002 06:10:31 EDT, Pekka Savola writes:
> On Fri, 17 May 2002, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
> > Out of interest why do you feel it's required to do chroot() at the
> > OpenSSH level?  Why don't you invest time into a shell that does the
> > chroot() for you?  That would work for telnet, ssh, etc. No need to
> > clutter up OpenSSH with options that can easily be implemented at a higher
> > level.
>
> One word: sftp.

How is sftp different from any other application or subsystem?

If the user's login shell is a wrapper which calls chroot() and then
runs a real shell, then sftp-server will be wrapped along with anything
else the user could run via ssh.

Incidentally, does the chroot patch work with
UsePrivilegeSeparation=yes?  I haven't tried it, but I suspect it might
not work, since my understanding of UsePrivilegeSeparation is that the
child process never runs with sufficient privileges for the chroot() to
succeed.  However, a wrapper program wouldn't have that sort of problem.

--
Dan Astoorian               People shouldn't think that it's better to have
Sysadmin, CSLab             loved and lost than never loved at all.  It's