openssh 3.2.2p1 problem on Solaris

Lars Hecking lhecking at nmrc.ie
Tue May 21 03:07:41 EST 2002

 I have compiled openssh with the Sun compiler, for the first time :)
 Installed it on my Solaris 8 box, restarted sshd, and connected to
 localhost. It works, basically, but I get

debug1: Entering interactive session.
Warning: no access to tty (Inappropriate ioctl for device).
Thus no job control in this shell.

 and also

May 20 18:01:01 localhost sshd[5753]: error: open /dev/tty failed - could not set controlling tty: No such device or address

 in sylog, and when I exit the shell via ^D, I have to ^C, too, to get back to
 the original shell. I think the problem is not on the client side, because
 it works fine when connecting to another Sol8 box (running openssh 3.1p1,
 compiled with gcc).

 /dev/tty is a link to /devices/pseudo/sy at 0:tty

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     tty       22,  0 May 20 18:01 sy at 0:tty

 sshd runs as root

$ /bin/ps -ef |grep sshd
    root  5617     1  0 17:57:09 ?        0:00 /opt/ssh/sbin/sshd

 OS is Solaris 8/SPARC 02/02, recommended patch cluster of about 3 weeks ago.

 Have I overlooked anything?