SSH 3.2.2 on Solaris 8 with /kernel/drv/random

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue May 21 09:26:45 EST 2002

Sean Boran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm like to try a get the new release to work with Sun's new device,
> that can be installed with patch 112438-01.
>
> I compiled SSL attempting to point it at the random device:
> cd openssl-0.9.6d
> ./Configure solaris-sparcv7-gcc
> make DEVRANDOM="/kernel/drv/random"
[]
> But I don't think /kernel/drv/random is a socket, "ls" lists it as a
> normal file.
> ls -alF /kernel/drv/random
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     sys        15704 Mar 15 00:33
> /kernel/drv/random*

Sean, /kernel/drv/random is a DRIVER, an object file loadable to a kernel,
not a device.  You should configure the driver somehow to be loaded at
startup and to assign a device (by reboot -r).  It was a time since I
last used solaris, so I don't remember more details.  Maybe
/kernel/drv/random.conf or something...

/mjt