Curious about final KRB5/GSSAPI patch inclusion.

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Wed May 22 01:50:23 EST 2002

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:39:28PM +0100, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> In particular, there are problems with user authorization (the kuserok()
> step), and with storing delegated credentials locally. Both of the two
> supported GSSAPI mechanisms (Kerberos and GSI) handle these differently,
> and Heimdal and MIT Kerberos even differ in their handling of credentials
> storage. Gack.
>
> The Grid folk have an extensions draft that handles the credential storage
> issue, but doesn't address the authorization one (although Nico's
> extension of authorized_keys could do so). The extensions draft also still
> leaves somethings as "mechanism dependent"

As long as account authorization is done in a name-based way (as the
MIT and Heimdal krb5_kuserok() implementations do, or as I suspect
GSI does, and as the GSS RFCs say authorization should be done) then
implementing name-based authorization using exported GSS names will do.

And in the case of OpenSSH, because of the additional constraints that
one can place on account access using authorized_keys entry options,
I believe this approach to be superior.

As for credentials management, it may well be possible to remove much
mech-specific code from your patches by moving some tasks to PAM. This
means that a sort of protocol needs to be established by which
OpenSSH/GSS/PAM can interact such that: a) the end result is as today
with your code, b) OpenSSH requires no GSS mech-specific code and c) all
GSS mech-specific code is moved to PAM modules which would then be
expected to be distributed as part of the underlying GSS implementation.

What I envision is a PAM module interface where GSS path in OpenSSH
calls pam_setcred() on a PAM handle for a PAM service name indicating the
use of GSS; the module(s) in the stack would prompt OpenSSH for the GSS
context structure and OpenSSH would furnish a pointer to it in response
and it would be the module(s)' responsibility to perform mech-specific
credentials actions. The PAM service name might be "ssh-gss," say.

But such a protocol for app/gss/pam interaction might be easier to
specify and implement than the GGF proposal (well, at least that one is
specified :)

> I guess the upshot is that the OpenSSH GSSAPI code will still need some
> knowledge of the underlying mechanism for some time to come. However,
> it should be possible to make it work with an implementation supporting
> multiple mechanisms, providing that portions of the underlying API are
> exposed.

Hmmmm. See above. I'm not sure there's any incentive to try to get rid
of all mech-specific code though, not as long as the GSS implementors
aren't helping or as long as the necessary APIs (e.g., PAM) are less
than widely and well established or a pain to work with.

> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

Cheers,

Nico
--
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-