error: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY)

John Sutton john at scl.co.uk
Thu May 23 03:10:16 EST 2002

Hi there

I've just upgraded to openssh-3.2.2p1 from openssh-1.2.3 and am having
some difficulties.

On one of the platforms I'm using (linux kernel 2.2.19 with glibc 2.1.1)
it works fine, but on another (linux kernel 2.2.20 with glibc 2.0.7) I get
this in the syslog every time I log in:

sshd[12277]: Accepted publickey for root from 212.38.67.158 port 2397 ssh2
PAM_pwdb[12277]: (sshd) session opened for user root by (uid=0)
sshd[12280]: error: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY): Operation not permitted
sshd[12280]: error: open /dev/tty failed - could not set controlling tty: Device not configured

But the real issue (and this might be related to the stuff in the log?) is
the behaviour of the INTR key.  ssty -a says that intr has the "usual"
mapping to ^C.  But pressing ^C terminates the session
rather than terminating the current command!  Ouch.  It doesn't matter
whether there _is_ a current command running or the shell is just sitting
at the prompt - pressing ^C terminates the current session - and the only
difference is this:  if there _is_ a command running when I press ^C,
that command becomes detached from the controlling terminal and continues
to run.

I've built from source on both platforms.

Any ideas?

TIA

John Sutton
SCL Internet