openssh-3.4p1 install problems on Solaris 6 with openssl-0.9.6g

Aaron M. Hirsch ahirsch at slb.com
Wed Oct 9 02:28:55 EST 2002

All,

I have successfully compiled and installed openssl 0.9.6g and am
attempting to install openssh-3.4p1.
I am using the following cofigure command for openssh:

./configure --prefix=/opt/local --sysconfdir=/opt/local/etc/ssh
--with-tcp-wrappers --with-ssl-dir=/opt/local --with-rand-helper

The configuration appears to work flawlessly.  However, when I try to
make the package I get the following error:

root at stupidbox# make
(cd openbsd-compat && make)
gcc -o sshd sshd.o auth.o auth1.o auth2.o auth2-hostbased.o auth2-none.o
auth2-passwd.o auth2-pubkey.o auth-chall.o auth2-chall.o auth-rhosts.o
auth-options.o auth-pam.o auth2-pam.o auth-passwd.o auth-rsa.o
auth-rh-rsa.o auth-sia.o sshpty.o sshlogin.o loginrec.o servconf.o
serverloop.o md5crypt.o session.o groupaccess.o auth-skey.o
auth-bsdauth.o monitor_mm.o monitor.o -L. -Lopenbsd-compat/
-L/opt/local/lib -R/opt/local/lib -ldl -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib
-lssh -lopenbsd-compat -lwrap  -lz -lsocket -lnsl  -lcrypto
method_kbdint                       auth2.o
getipnodebyname                     ./libwrap.a(misc.o)
inet_pton                           ./libwrap.a(hosts_access.o)
inet_ntop                           ./libwrap.a(socket.o)
freehostent                         ./libwrap.a(misc.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to sshd
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `sshd'

I am attempting to get the installation working on a Solaris 6 box.
 (Ultra 10)  The gcc compiler is:
root at stupidbox# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

I have been able to successfully install the same configuration on our
Solaris 8 boxes.  I've been scouring the web for references to this
issue, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on or where I should be looking?

Note:  I have also tried using LDFLAGS="-ldl" ./configure
--prefix=/opt/local --sysconfdir=/opt/local/etc/ssh --with-tcp-wrappers
--with-ssl-dir=/opt/local --with-rand-helper .  No dice.

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appericiated!

Thanks!

--
Aaron M. Hirsch
UNIX Systems Administrator

	"With great power comes great responsibility."
		Uncle Ben