openssh-3.4p1 install problems on Solaris 6 with openssl-0.9.6g

Thomas Binder binder at arago.de
Wed Oct 9 02:48:03 EST 2002

Hi!

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 11:28:55AM -0500, Aaron M. Hirsch wrote:
> The configuration appears to work flawlessly.  However, when I
> try to make the package I get the following error:
> [...]
>
> root at stupidbox# make
> [...]
> method_kbdint                       auth2.o
> getipnodebyname                     ./libwrap.a(misc.o)
> inet_pton                           ./libwrap.a(hosts_access.o)
> inet_ntop                           ./libwrap.a(socket.o)
> freehostent                         ./libwrap.a(misc.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to sshd
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `sshd'
>
> I am attempting to get the installation working on a Solaris 6
> box.

Are you sure the libwrap.a you use for the build process was also
built on Solaris 2.6? For me, it seems to have been built on
Solaris 8 - both Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 7 do not have any of the
functions the linker is missing.

Note that you can use libraries and binaries built on an older
Solaris version on newer ones without problems, but not
necessarily the other way around.

Ciao

Thomas