hpux 11.i and HAVE_GETADDRINFO

Markus Werle numerical.simulation at web.de
Fri Oct 25 19:48:01 EST 2002

Hi,

After digging through google search results I found
the well known hpux 11.i bug occuring after installing
the March 2002 patch bundle which breaks DNS lookup
for openssh.

After setting HAVE_GETADDRINFO to 0 in config.h
and another recompile, ssh works fine and I am happy again.

No more "host nor service provided" error messages.

Q1: Maybe hp has a fix for this already, but I am unsure
since I found contradicting messages about this and I dislike
polluting my system with unnecessary patches just to try out.

Therefore: If hp has a patch for this and You know about it,
please let me know.

Q2: Why not change the configure script to check whether
hpux has a broken getaddrinfo and _at_ _least_ emit a warning
about this, or stop with an error and point to the patch.
Or minimum: Add this info to the INSTALL file
or the INSTALL.hpux

In config.h I also found
/* getaddrinfo is broken (if present) */
/* #undef BROKEN_GETADDRINFO */
so maybe the test is there but the result is wrong?

best regards,

Markus