hpux 11.i and HAVE_GETADDRINFO

Kevin Steves stevesk at pobox.com
Sat Oct 26 16:52:16 EST 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 11:48:01AM +0200, Markus Werle wrote:
> After digging through google search results I found
> the well known hpux 11.i bug occuring after installing
> the March 2002 patch bundle which breaks DNS lookup
> for openssh.
>
> After setting HAVE_GETADDRINFO to 0 in config.h
> and another recompile, ssh works fine and I am happy again.
>
> No more "host nor service provided" error messages.
>
> Q1: Maybe hp has a fix for this already, but I am unsure
> since I found contradicting messages about this and I dislike
> polluting my system with unnecessary patches just to try out.
>
> Therefore: If hp has a patch for this and You know about it,
> please let me know.

I complained to Mike Huey and others at HP about this issue perhaps 6
or more months ago.  I don't know if they have fixed it yet.

A diff to http://www.openssh.com/faq.html would be a start.

> In config.h I also found
> /* getaddrinfo is broken (if present) */
> /* #undef BROKEN_GETADDRINFO */
> so maybe the test is there but the result is wrong?

As I recall that's not a run-time test but per os-spec.  I am against
labeling HP-UX as broken getaddrinfo--they just need to fix it.