XDMCP forwarding

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Sep 5 08:52:24 EST 2002

Yo rwk!

On 4 Sep 2002 rwk at americom.com wrote:

> I want to run MS-Windows XP with a third party X-server.  However, I
> have been running Unix so long, that I cannot adapt to the "click to
> type" requirement which the Windows window manager requires.

Oh, so you are asking a WINDOWS question on a UNIX list.  I did not expect
that and that puts a very different light on things.

Since this is a UNIX list I will give you ONE more reply.

> Therefore, I need to run an X desktop (like gdm) which takes over the
> whole screen and acts just like my machine at work (but then I have
> Windows underneath when I need to run Windows programs).

That is NOT what gdm does.  gdm runs on the REMOTE end of the connection.
You need a LOCAL X server to run.  Something like Cygwin or X-Win32.

All gdm does is setup a connection, log you in and then start a window
manager for you.

Since gdm uses UDP you can never put it in an SSH tunnel.

Since ssh already required you to connect and log on to the remote host
there is no need to do that again.

So all you need is to start a windown manager.  If you have cygwin or
X-win32 you can run a local window manager or a remote one.o

All you need is in the doc for cygwin and x-win32.  If you are running
a different X server on the WinXX side then you need to RTFM.

> I don't understand what you you mean by:
>
>   "start windows on you local host without a window manager, then ssh
>    over to the remote, be sure DISPLAY is set and working, then start
>    the remote window manager.

Then get out a good book on X because you are missing the basics.

> What I want to run is gdm (a display manager).  Are you saying I should
> forget that and run a a "window manager" directly (without a "desktop
> manager")?
Yes.

> Or are you saying I can run gdm in a way that skips the login screen?

No, you are already logged in.

RGDS
GARY