XDMCP forwarding

rwk at americom.com rwk at americom.com
Thu Sep 5 09:23:27 EST 2002

> Yo rwk!
>
> On 4 Sep 2002 rwk at americom.com wrote:
>
> > I want to run MS-Windows XP with a third party X-server.  However, I
> > have been running Unix so long, that I cannot adapt to the "click to
> > type" requirement which the Windows window manager requires.
>
> Oh, so you are asking a WINDOWS question on a UNIX list.  I did not expect
> that and that puts a very different light on things.

That's ony 2/3 true.  On one end its Unix.  On the other end it's a Unix
program (X-server) running on a Windows OS.  :)

> Since this is a UNIX list I will give you ONE more reply.

I do appreciate your help!

> > Therefore, I need to run an X desktop (like gdm) which takes over the
> > whole screen and acts just like my machine at work (but then I have
> > Windows underneath when I need to run Windows programs).
>
> That is NOT what gdm does.  gdm runs on the REMOTE end of the connection.
> You need a LOCAL X server to run.  Something like Cygwin or X-Win32.
>
> All gdm does is setup a connection, log you in and then start a window
> manager for you.
>
> Since gdm uses UDP you can never put it in an SSH tunnel.
>
> Since ssh already required you to connect and log on to the remote host
> there is no need to do that again.
>
> So all you need is to start a windown manager.  If you have cygwin or
> X-win32 you can run a local window manager or a remote one.o
>
> All you need is in the doc for cygwin and x-win32.  If you are running
> a different X server on the WinXX side then you need to RTFM.

The X-server (its X-vision from SCO) is running fine.  But it does not
come with a window manager.

> > I don't understand what you you mean by:
> >
> >   "start windows on you local host without a window manager, then ssh
> >    over to the remote, be sure DISPLAY is set and working, then start
> >    the remote window manager.
>
> Then get out a good book on X because you are missing the basics.

I have, and I have 20 years of Unix experience as well.  What I am
trying to do is get a remote desktop running (with the task bar at the
bottom and so on...).  A "window manager" does not accomplish that.

So I still don't understand what you are suggesting.

Can you suggest the Unix command I run remotely to get the gnome tak bar
and so on, displaying on my local X-server?

Thanks again,
Dick