BUG: ssh hangs on full stdout-file-system

Olaf Rogalsky Olaf.Rogalsky at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Sep 26 20:09:56 EST 2002

Markus Friedl wrote:
> what happens if you
> # ssh remote.server.org "tar -cz /home" | cat > /backup/remote.tar.gz
ssh still hangs, but now cat gives an error message:

cat: write error: No space left on device

It is realy ssh, that hangs, since the following
#ssh remote.server.org "tar -cz /home" | (cat > /backup/remote.tar.gz || echo ready)
gives

cat: write error: No space left on device
ready

PS: I also tried it under AIX (IBM UNIX) and different shells -- no
    difference.
I Dipl. Phys. Olaf Rogalsky                 Institut f. Theo. Physik I I
I Tel.: 09131 8528440                       Univ. Erlangen-Nuernberg   I
I Fax.: 09131 8528444                       Staudtstrasse 7 B3         I
I rogalsky at theorie1.physik.uni-erlangen.de  D-91058 Erlangen           I