BUG: ssh hangs on full stdout-file-system

Olaf Rogalsky Olaf.Rogalsky at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Sep 26 22:34:20 EST 2002

Markus Friedl wrote:
> i think it's because ssh still can read from the stdin
>
> what happens if you do this:
>
> # ssh -n remote.server.org "tar -cz /home" > /backup/remote.tar.gz
Unfortunately still hanging.

The next thing I did, was looking at source and running ssh with
option "-vv" (should have done this long before :-). This is the relavant
message:

debug1: channel 0: write failed

It stems from a line in function
channel_handle_wfd(channels.c:1294):  chan_write_failed(c);
As expected, "errno" equals "ENOSPC" at this point. I wonder, if it wasn't
wise to abort ssh at this point?

PS: A bit offtopic: Why isn't it allowed/possible to close stdin with
# ssh remote "echo test" <&-

I Dipl. Phys. Olaf Rogalsky                 Institut f. Theo. Physik I I
I Tel.: 09131 8528440                       Univ. Erlangen-Nuernberg   I
I Fax.: 09131 8528444                       Staudtstrasse 7 B3         I
I rogalsky at theorie1.physik.uni-erlangen.de  D-91058 Erlangen           I