OpenSSH & OpenSSL directory location problem.

Darren J Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Sat Feb 1 12:33:29 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, jpiszcz wrote:

> Problem: scp does not work with custom openssl library location
>
> As you can see it finds it just fine by using the GCC variables below.
>
>              Host: i686-pc-linux-gnu
>          Compiler: gcc
>    Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized
> Preprocessor flags: -I/vapp/include
>      Linker flags: -L/vapp/lib
>         Libraries:   -lutil -lz -lnsl  -lcrypto -lcrypt

This isn't fine, there should be a -R/vapp/lib in the linker flags.  Without
-R you need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH at run time.  LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
really a debug aid and should be avoided if at all possible.

Adding a -L without a corresponding -R is probably a bug in the configure
script - I don't know anything about autoconf so I don't know if it is
autoconf or the template that has needs to be updated.

Alternates on Linux are adding /vapp/lib to /etc/ld.so.config.  On Solaris 8
use crle(1m).

If you need to make the binaries relocatable and have the lib dir at a
set location from the bin dir: eg ..../bin/scp and ..../lib/libcrypto.so then
you can use the $ORIGIN variable for -R on Solaris (and I believe on Linux
as well).

--
Darren J Moffat