Putty won't work when priv-sep turned on on AIX systems

Mark Janssen maniac at maniac.nl
Mon Feb 10 21:07:20 EST 2003

Hi list,

I reported earlier that I had issues with psftp, but the case is more
generic. Putty (and all that comes with it) won't let me login to
Openssh (tested with: 3.5 and today's cvs) when priv-sep is turned on.

The cygwin ssh client, and the linux openssh client work perfectly.

On the putty side I'm only seeing a message stating that the remote host
closed the connection.

On the AIX SSH box i'm seeing:
[snip]
debug3: AIX/UsrInfo: set len 27
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 203/1
debug1: newkeys: mode 0
debug1: cipher_init: set keylen (16 -> 32)
debug1: newkeys: mode 1
debug1: cipher_init: set keylen (16 -> 32)
debug1: Entering interactive session for SSH2.
debug1: fd 7 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: server_init_dispatch_20
buffer_append_space: alloc 10506240 not supported
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x20008a48(0x0)

Putting a breakpoint on server_init_dispatch_20 or fatal doesn't result
in the debugger stopping there (multi-threading issues ???) and sshd
just fails with code 255.

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT