Putty won't work when priv-sep turned on on AIX systems

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Mon Feb 10 22:38:14 EST 2003

Mark Janssen wrote:
> I reported earlier that I had issues with psftp, but the case is more
> generic. Putty (and all that comes with it) won't let me login to
> Openssh (tested with: 3.5 and today's cvs) when priv-sep is turned on.

It works OK with privsep off?  I'll see if I can reproduce this.

[snip]
> buffer_append_space: alloc 10506240 not supported
> debug1: Calling cleanup 0x20008a48(0x0)
>
> Putting a breakpoint on server_init_dispatch_20 or fatal doesn't result
> in the debugger stopping there (multi-threading issues ???)

The failure is probably in the privsep child and by default you're
debugging the parent.  You might be able to fiddle around with
breakpoints and "set follow-fork-mode" (you'd need to follow the second
fork not the first).

> and sshd
> just fails with code 255.

Try enabling PuTTY's logging (Session->Logging->Log SSH packet data),
that should give a better idea of where the problem's occurring.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.