Putty won't work when priv-sep turned on on AIX systems

Mark Janssen maniac at maniac.nl
Mon Feb 10 23:45:57 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 12:38, Darren Tucker wrote:
> Mark Janssen wrote:
> > I reported earlier that I had issues with psftp, but the case is more
> > generic. Putty (and all that comes with it) won't let me login to
> > Openssh (tested with: 3.5 and today's cvs) when priv-sep is turned on.
>
> It works OK with privsep off?  I'll see if I can reproduce this.

Yes, ive tested the following:
AIX 4.3 Privsep on:		error
AIX 4.3 Privsep off:		ok
HP 11.0 privsep on or off:	ok
Linux privsep on or off:	ok

Working on the AIX privsep on case:
Putty (any version)		error
  tried 0.52, 0.53 and various development snapshots)
Cygwin's Openssh client		ok
SSH.COM client (3.2.2)		ok

> The failure is probably in the privsep child and by default you're
> debugging the parent.  You might be able to fiddle around with
> breakpoints and "set follow-fork-mode" (you'd need to follow the second
> fork not the first).

I'll see if I can get gdb to follow that fork... so far I have had bad
luck following any fork :(

> Try enabling PuTTY's logging (Session->Logging->Log SSH packet data),
> that should give a better idea of where the problem's occurring.

It happens after the password is entered, afaik just when normally the
shell should be exec'd on the unix side.

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT