scp + .bashrc buglet

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sun Feb 16 00:44:27 EST 2003

"insecure at mail.od.ua" wrote:
> Just a quick note: this is my .bashrc:
>
> # Executed by non-login interactive shell
> #
> # scp go wild when it see this
> #echo "<*> Executing ~/.bashrc from '$0'. Command line: '$*'"
> #ps -H e
> #echo "<*> Finished ~/.bashrc"

So don't do that, then.

> Line 3 was added and subsequent lines commented out.
> Now scp works. Looks like a little scp bug for me.

Your non-interactive shell should not generate extraneous output as scp
has no way of knowing how much of the output to ignore.  You will also
see similar problems with other software that uses ssh as a transport
(eg rsync, cvs).

This is not a bug, see http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#2.9

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)