SX-6 port of openssh, configure problems

Rick Jones rick_jones2 at hp.com
Sat Jan 11 08:33:17 EST 2003

You aren't by any chance using "higher" optiization levels are you? I've
been messing about with the 2002/12/17 snapshot of bind 9.3.0 on HP-UX
11.22, and when I tried to do 'CFLAGS="+O3" ./configure' , configure
would think that functions were present which were not.

As some clever people figured-out and told me, the code generated by the
AC_TRY_LINK autoconf macro was broken - it would assign a function
pointer to the value of the function of interest, but then would do
nothing with it. The compiler (correctly) detects this as dead code, and
eliminates it, thus eliminating the reference to the function of
interest. So, the link in configure would work.

The workaround is to either not use the higher optimization levels, or
to edit the configure script to have it return the value of the function
pointer.

I am told that the fix is in the very latest autoconf bits, where it
changes the return value based on the value of the function pointer.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...