Possible bug: Putty's psftp doesn't work when priv-sep is turned on

Mark Janssen maniac at maniac.nl
Tue Jan 21 02:16:28 EST 2003

Hi List(s)

A customer of mine reported that sftp didn't work for them. It seems to
work just fine for me on that system, and after checking into it I
noticed that the customer used psftp, while I use sftp from either
cygwin or the linux version from openssh.

The openssh version of sftp works in all cases, priv-sep on or off.
However, the putty psftp breaks as soon as I turn on priv-sep (which is
on by default on openssh3.5).

I've tried this on 3.5 and today's snapshot of openssh.
I've tried with versions of putty from 0.52 to today's snapshot

On the unix system (i've tested aix433 and linux) the sshd reports the
following (sshd -D -d -d -d)

Jan 20 14:41:59 dhu1_boot sshd[9580]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port
22.
Jan 20 14:42:11 dhu1_boot sshd[15502]: Accepted password for maniac from
10.x.y.z port 2972 ssh2
Jan 20 14:42:12 dhu1_boot sshd[16546]: fatal: buffer_append_space: alloc
10506240 not supported

On the putty side I get the following message after entering the
password or passphrase when connecting to a server with priv-sep turned
on:

Fatal: unable to initialise SFTP: could not connect

--
Mark Janssen <maniac at maniac.nl>
Saiko Internet Technologies