Failed make of ssh3.6p1 : Error Code 1

noah li soltrain33 at glay.org
Fri Jul 11 00:37:00 EST 2003

I'm trying to upgrade my version of openSSH on a freeBSD box. Previously I had version 3.4, which I removed before attempting installation of the new version. Upon running configure, I got the error

"cannot guess build type; you must specify one"

I ran configure again with the switch --build=i86
which completed sucessfully. However, when I tried to build, it gave me the error:

"/auth-password.c(.text+0x5e):undefined reference to 'crypt' ** Error code 1"

I am not sure how to resolve this. Any ideas?
Thanks.