SSH2 GSSAPI/KerberosV.

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Jul 30 11:12:12 EST 2003

Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> Damien Miller wrote:
>
>>This has been discussed a couple of times on this list, so check the
>>archives for details. The patches are being worked on, but progress is
>>slow because of the lack of assistance (despite all the talk from people
>>asking for the patches to be merged).
>

> I am willing to help, but the process appears to be a closed process
> within the OpenSSH developers, as inferred from your note of
> Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:20:11 +1000:
>
>>Please note that posting wordy position papers, "me too" messages and
>>other "contributions" from non-developers will not make this happen any
>>faster.

You must be joking.

Apart from the fact that it is absolutely clear from the above (and the
context in which it appeared) that I was disparaging non-code
contributions (read the "non-developers" phrase a few times until it
sinks in), we have repeatedly stated our criteria for the inclusion of
the patches: they must be shrunk and audited.

> The above note and the lack of a public response to the MIT note
> of Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:58:56 -0700 has lead me and maybe others to believe
> that we should back off any attempt to help, as you imply that it was being
> handled in house.

What was in the MIT note that hadn't already be said and responded to?
It was a fluffly position paper, retreading on well-covered ground,
which did *zero* to help us merge the code.

Every time this issue comes up we get howls of righteous indignation
from the Kerberos community, but no assistance. It is a wonder than
Markus and Jakob bother at all.

-d