SSH2 GSSAPI/KerberosV.

Booker Bense bbense at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jul 31 03:20:11 EST 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Damien Miller wrote:

> Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> >
> > Damien Miller wrote:
> >
> >>This has been discussed a couple of times on this list, so check the
> >>archives for details. The patches are being worked on, but progress is
> >>slow because of the lack of assistance (despite all the talk from people
> >>asking for the patches to be merged).
> >

> > I am willing to help, but the process appears to be a closed process
> > within the OpenSSH developers, as inferred from your note of
> > Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:20:11 +1000:
> >
> >>Please note that posting wordy position papers, "me too" messages and
> >>other "contributions" from non-developers will not make this happen any
> >>faster.
>
> You must be joking.
>
> Apart from the fact that it is absolutely clear from the above (and the
> context in which it appeared) that I was disparaging non-code
> contributions (read the "non-developers" phrase a few times until it
> sinks in), we have repeatedly stated our criteria for the inclusion of
> the patches: they must be shrunk and audited.

- They can't be shrunk and be useful. I will gladly audit them,
IN FACT I have offered to do so several times on this list and
have been told that Simon's patches would not be accepted no
matter what I did.

> > The above note and the lack of a public response to the MIT note
> > of Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:58:56 -0700 has lead me and maybe others to believe
> > that we should back off any attempt to help, as you imply that it was being
> > handled in house.
>
> What was in the MIT note that hadn't already be said and responded to?
> It was a fluffly position paper, retreading on well-covered ground,
> which did *zero* to help us merge the code.
>
> Every time this issue comes up we get howls of righteous indignation
> from the Kerberos community, but no assistance. It is a wonder than
> Markus and Jakob bother at all.

- AGAIN WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? You have never suggested a
single concrete way for us to procede in getting Simon's patches
integrated other than to reimplement them without need
functionality.

_ Booker C. Bense