IPv6 support?

Colin Watson cjwatson at debian.org
Tue Mar 4 03:10:22 EST 2003

In article <20030226114702.GA1922 at bumpern.de>
on chiark.mail.openssh.unix.dev, Michael Schwarz wrote:
>Gert Doering wrote:
>> Just make sure you don't use a package that was built with "v4 only"
>> (like the MacOS X people do *sigh*).
>
>Well, it was my fault. Ok, not really. It seems that the version which
>comes with debian-woody is compiled without v6. I'm trying for about
>three hours to get it work. On Debian-Sid everything works fine.

Yes, there's a reason for that: some functions in glibc are broken when
trying to use IPv6 on Linux 2.2 kernels. I'm surprised that it works
without the -6 option in Debian unstable, because it's not supposed to.
A workaround (which I still need to test ...) is in OpenSSH portable
CVS, so the next Debian release will have --with-ipv4-default finally
disabled.

If you're not using Linux 2.2, there should be no problem recompiling
without --with-ipv4-default.

--
Colin Watson                           [cjwatson at chiark.greenend.org.uk]