AIX 4.3.3/OpenSSH 3.5p1 Crashing

Robert A Uhl uhlr at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 4 05:09:07 EST 2003

I'm getting core dumps from sshd when logging in using password
authentication (using a public key works just fine). The core dump occurs
just after entering a password--whether that password is correct or not. It
only happens on this one machine. I've tried recompiling the entire
setup--zlib, openssl & openssh--and the crash still occurs. It doesn't look
like the putty-failure issue discussed in the archives, although it may be
related. Anyone have any ideas?

This is what it looks like from the client side:

[ruhl at pstrain ruhl]$ ssh -p 1212 localhost
ruhl at localhost's password:
Connection closed by 127.0.0.1
[ruhl at pstrain ruhl]$

And this from the server side:

debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 10
debug3: monitor_read: checking request 10
debug3: mm_answer_authpassword: sending result 0
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 11
debug3: mm_auth_password: waiting for MONITOR_ANS_AUTHPASSWORDFailed none
for ruhl from 127.0.0.1 port 63536 ssh2
debug3: mm_request_receive entering

debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 11
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
debug3: mm_auth_password: user not authenticated
Failed none for ruhl from 127.0.0.1 port 63536 ssh2
debug1: userauth-request for user ruhl service ssh-connection method
password
debug1: attempt 1 failures 1
debug2: input_userauth_request: try method password
debug3: mm_auth_password entering
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 10
debug3: monitor_read: checking request 10
debug3: mm_auth_password: waiting for MONITOR_ANS_AUTHPASSWORD
debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 11
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x2000f0f4(0x0)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

--