Agent Socket Directory

Tim McGarry tim at mcgarry.ch
Thu Mar 20 08:58:59 EST 2003

I like the idea of using /var/run it's definately where it _should_ be.

But, /tmp has already been used for some time and I see no actual advantage
in changing it at this stage, so leave it where it always was.

One email on this subject suggested using $TMPDIR, what a bad idea, if
people are given the choice, at least some of them will choose a place that
isn't safe.

The one thing I'd like to see is support for defining where an agent gets
forwarded to, or perhaps supporting some way of making sure it gets created
at the same place as the last session (eg convert the socket to a normal
file on exit, an then back to a socket the next time the user connects with
a forwarded agent) , this would be particularly useful when forwarding the
agent to a host, starting a bunch of stuff (eg screen/vnc sessions) and then
disconnecting/reconnecting repeatably. I do this with VNC and have been
forced to write a script to create hard links with the appropriate
permissions from where the agent was before, to where it is now.

Tim McGarry.