OpenSSH-3.6.1p2 PAM Problems

listz at hate.cx listz at hate.cx
Tue May 13 06:23:13 EST 2003

recently we upgraded a bunch of systems to OpenSSH-3.6.1p2. alot of our systems
have automated logins for backups or systems checks with ssh-keys, but (i think)
as a result of the Openwall/Solar Designer patch, pam_tally is incrementing off
the scales. pam_tally is tallying failed logins for keyed-only accounts:
attempts are made to authenticate those accounts via password authentication
before using keys. i'm not a coder so i don't have a fix, but i don't think it
should be that hard to fix. any ideas?

<EOF>
::[ RFC 2795 ]::
 "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the
 people by the people for the people."
 -Oscar Wilde