ssh-agent asking for passphrase on non-keyed connections

Jason McCormick jason at devrandom.org
Sat May 24 14:08:43 EST 2003

  I'm running into some odd behavior that I can't figure out that I'm
hoping someone can help me with.  After years of SSH usage, I've
decided to exchange one laziness for another and use ssh-agent.
However I'm running into an odd instance where ssh is asking for the
passphrase to my key stored in ~/.ssh/id_dsa when attempting to connect
to a machine with nothing in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and the key
properly active in ssh-agent.  For example:

[user at host ~]$ ssh user at foo
Last login: Mon May 12 15:06:33 2003 from host
[user at foo ~]$

Never asks for a passphrase and I'm logged in perfectly.  However now
 if I ssh to root on the same box (with no /root/.ssh/authorized_keys)
 I'm prompted for the passphrase for my key and then prompted for the
 password for root.  For example:

[user at host ~]$ ssh root at foo
Enter passphrase for key '/home/user/.ssh/id_dsa':
root at foo's password:
Last login: Tue May  6 11:44:59 2003 from host
[root at foo root]#

After talking with Ben, I was under the impression that the
correct/desired behavior is that I would only be prompted for the
root at foo password.  Any thoughts or suggestions on this?  I didn't see
anything in the FAQ or mailing list about this so I'm assuming I have a
configuration glitch somewhere.

--
Jason McCormick
jason at devrandom.org
GPG Key: http://www.devrandom.org/gpgkey.php
GPG Fingerprint: 66C5 2B15 3E34 2B5E 5321 6147 303A DCE6 0A74 A19C