[patch] 3.7.1p2: slogin symlink fixes

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Tue Nov 18 03:51:13 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
>
> > >  There are three small problems with the "slogin" and "slogin.1" symlinks
> > > created upon installation:
> > >
> > > 1. "./" is included in the target path unnecessarily.
> > >
> > > 2. Symlinks are assumed to be available, while only hardlinks could.
> >
> > Are we trying to solve a real world problem here?  Or is just change for
> > the sake of change?  What platform do these two things cause hardships on?
> >
> > > 3. EXEEXT is not respected for slogin.
> >
> > Can I get someone on Cygwin platform to verify this?  That would be the
> > only platform this affects.
>
>  These are clean-ups of the usual kind I prepare during maintenance of
> software (I keep a repository of packaged software for MIPSel/Linux) and
> are not results of fatal problems for my platform.  I try to get back to
> the maintainers of the affected software whenever I consider a change is
> clean enough for general use so that work does not happen to be
> duplicated.  If you don't like the changes, then just disregard them --
> I'll keep a private copy.

I just want to know if there is any good justifications.  #3 is definitely
wrong at least for Cygwin (which is the only platform that uses this
hack), and #1/#2 I'd be willing to entertain if there was good
justifications.  I also worry it will break "fakeroot builds" (make
DESTDIR=..)  which is something I can't allow to happen since it would
cause package building issues for at least Solaris and AIX.

- Ben