[patch] 3.7.1p2: slogin symlink fixes

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at ds2.pg.gda.pl
Tue Nov 18 04:17:59 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Ben Lindstrom wrote:

> > software (I keep a repository of packaged software for MIPSel/Linux) and
> > are not results of fatal problems for my platform.  I try to get back to
> > the maintainers of the affected software whenever I consider a change is
> > clean enough for general use so that work does not happen to be
> > duplicated.  If you don't like the changes, then just disregard them --
> > I'll keep a private copy.
>
> I just want to know if there is any good justifications.  #3 is definitely
> wrong at least for Cygwin (which is the only platform that uses this
> hack), and #1/#2 I'd be willing to entertain if there was good
> justifications.  I also worry it will break "fakeroot builds" (make
> DESTDIR=..)  which is something I can't allow to happen since it would
> cause package building issues for at least Solaris and AIX.

 Since I use RPM for packaging, I can assure you DESTDIR doesn't get
broken.  Actually this is the recommended way of creating symlinks -- see
the description for AC_PROG_LN_S in the autoconf manual -- and there is a
suggestion similar to mine in the automake manual as well.  Actually the
automake suggestion covers #3 as well (I can't comment Cygwin as I don't
use it, but I'm pretty confident automake authors know what they write).

  Maciej