Testing of recent commits

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Fri Nov 28 00:31:14 EST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:41:48AM +0100, Lutz Jaenicke wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 11:32:51AM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
> > That change matched one synced from OpenBSD where all of the "#ifdef DNS"
> > fragments vanished.  Maybe portable needs them back, or needs some dummy
> > resolver functions in openbsd-compat?  There's a chance some other
> > platforms will have the same issue too.
> I have Bind 8 libraries installed on my system, so I gave it another try:
> OpenSSH has been configured with the following options:
>                      User binaries: /usr/local/openssh1/bin
>                    System binaries: /usr/local/openssh1/sbin
>                Configuration files: /etc/ssh1
>                    Askpass program: /usr/local/openssh1/libexec/ssh-askpass
>                       Manual pages: /usr/local/openssh1/man/manX
>                           PID file: /var/run1
>   Privilege separation chroot path: /var/empty
>             sshd default user PATH: /usr/local/openssh1/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/
> bin
>                     Manpage format: man
>                        DNS support:
>                        PAM support: no
>                  KerberosV support: no
>                  Smartcard support: no
>                      S/KEY support: no
>               TCP Wrappers support: yes
>               MD5 password support: no
>        IP address in $DISPLAY hack: yes
>            Translate v4 in v6 hack: no
>                   BSD Auth support: no
>               Random number source: OpenSSL internal ONLY
>
>               Host: hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20
>           Compiler: cc -Ae
>     Compiler flags: -g -Ae +DAportable
> Preprocessor flags: -I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/usr/local/include  -D_HPUX_SOURC
> E -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 -I/usr/local/bind/include
>       Linker flags: -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/lib  -L/usr/local/bind/lib
>          Libraries: -lwrap  -lz -lxnet  -lsec -lbind -lcrypto
>
> This time it will break in a more subtle manner:
> Bind 8 include files come with its own <arpa/inet.h>. By specifying
> -I/usr/local/bind/include the <arpa/inet.h> from Bind 8 will be used instead
> of the system file. As -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 is specified in the
> HP-UX 10.20 configuration, htons() etc macros are no longer handled by
> <netinet/in.h> but by <arpa/inet.h>. The <arpa/inet.h> shipped with
> Bind 8 however does not know about this subtle difference: it does not
> include this macros such that linking fails due to undefined symbols of
> htons() and friends.
> (You may consider this to be a bug in the Bind 8 distribution; I would however
> recommend to handle the DNS resolver lib problem inside OpenSSH instead
> of requiring the installation of a "patched up" Bind 8 on HP-UX 10.20.
> Note: I have verified that this issue is still valid up to 8.4.1)

Updated information:
I have now installed the latest Bind 8.4.3, still having this issue.
After modifying the arpa/inet.h file provided as part of Bind 8 to include
the necessary macros, OpenSSH compiles and passes regression tests
(CVS as of 27 Nov 03).
I have filed a bug report againts Bind 8 on HP-UX 10.20, which has been
assigned [ISC-Bugs #10026].

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/