Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive)

Steve Belt (rgpg70) Steve.Belt at
Fri Oct 3 03:53:28 EST 2003

I have recently downloaded and compiled openssh-3.7.1p2 on both HP-UX
10.20 and HP-UX 11.00.  The compile went fine.  Logging in on the system
used for the build works fine.  However, logging in on a different
system (where the newly compiled openssh is installed) results in the
following error:

Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

I have tried several things I found in some other threads:
ChallengeResponseAuthentication to "no"
UsePam no

then I get the following:

Permission denied (publickey,password).

Why would it work for one system and not another with the same OS?  I
did not use the PAM option for the 10.20 compile (could not find the pam
headers), but did for the 11.00 compile.

Thanks in advance,

Steve "Wheat" Belt              Motorola, Inc.
Steve.Belt at         6501 William Cannon Dr. West, MD OE341
512-895-2268                    Austin, TX 78735